WriteFit Underwriting utilizes new tools and techniques that predict relative mortality based on a number of behaviors. There is no need for a medical exam or blood test, so your clients can experience a less invasive underwriting process than traditional underwriting.
Underwriting tailored to your clients
Why WriteFit Underwriting?
WriteFit Underwriting offers the potential for:
- Simplified, less invasive underwriting without lab requirements
- Fast underwriting decisions, allowing you to get paid fast
- Overall improved client experience
Is your client the right fit?
If your client meets the following criteria, they may be eligible for WriteFit Underwriting:
- Applying for a face amount up to $3 million
- Applying via eApp
- Using the tele-interview or completing the client underwriting questionnaire1
Our WriteFit Underwriting program consists of WriteFit and WriteFit Express. The face amount of your client's policy will determine which program will be utilized — see below for details. Please note that product availability and rate class availability may vary by state.
|18 - 50||$0 - $3,000,000 (excludes WriteFit Express products at the face amounts listed below)||Standard or better4|
|51 - 60||$0 - $1,000,000 (excludes WriteFit Express products at the face amounts listed below)||Standard or better4|
Advantage Elite Select Term6
|16-17||$50,000 - $250,000||Preferred Juvenile|
|18 - 54||$50,000 - $99,999||Standard4|
|16 - 54||$100,000 - $250,000||Standard or better4|
Eclipse Accumulator IUL
Eclipse Protector II IUL
|0 - 17||$50,000 - $250,000||Preferred|
|18 - 54||$100,000 - $250,000||Standard or better|
1. Information from tele-interview helps determine whether client qualifies for WriteFit Underwriting.
2. Excludes WriteFit Express, SecureCare product line and must meet product-specific guidelines.
3. These face amount limits represent total accelerated business, in-force and pending.
4. For insurance products applied for in New York, preferred is the best underwriting class that can be received.
5. If declined, a 90-day waiting period will be enforced before a new application can be submitted.
6. Issue ages are 16-54 for 10-, 15- and 20-year durations. Issue ages are 16-45 for 30-year durations.
Refer to this chart regarding eligibility for WriteFit Underwriting.
Weight range in pounds
These are general guidelines used at the discretion of the underwriter.
Top WriteFit Underwriting classes criteria
Please note: rate class availability may vary by state.
|Preferred Select criteria||Preferred criteria||Non-Tobacco Plus criteria|
|Personal history||No history of diabetes, heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, or cancer (except certain types of basal cell skin cancer)||No history of diabetes, heart disease, cerebrovascular disease or cancer (except certain types of skin cancer)||No history of diabetes, heart disease, cerebrovascular disease or cancer (except certain types of skin cancer)|
|Tobacco||No tobacco or nicotine use in the past 36 months
||No tobacco or nicotine use in the past 12 months
||No tobacco or nicotine use in the past 12 months
|Family history||No death of a parent or sibling before age 60 due to diabetes, heart disease, cerebrovascular disease or cancer||No death of a parent or sibling before age 60 due to diabetes, heart disease or cerebrovascular disease||No more than one death of a parent or sibling before age 60 due to diabetes, heart disease or cerebrovascular disease|
|Alcohol/Substance abuse||No history of or treatment for alcohol or substance abuse||No history of or treatment for alcohol or substance abuse within the last 10 years||No history of or treatment for alcohol or substance abuse within the last 10 years|
|Avocations||No ratable avocations||No ratable avocations||No ratable avocations|
|Build||Must satisfy the Preferred Select build criteria||Must satisfy the Preferred build criteria||Must satisfy the Non-Tobacco Plus build criteria|
No student or private pilots (unless aviation coverage is excluded)
Private pilots considered if IFR rated, 250 or more total hours and flying between 50 and 250 hours annually
Commercially certified pilots are eligible if employed full-time as corporate pilots or as commercial airline pilots
All pilots are eligible for Preferred pricing dependent on their experience and aviation activities, but may be charged a cash extra premium
It may be necessary to exclude aviation coverage to qualify for Preferred pricing
All pilots are eligible for Non-Tobacco Plus pricing dependent on their experience and aviation activities, but may be charged a cash extra premium
It may be necessary to exclude aviation coverage to qualify for Non-Tobacco Plus pricing
No DWI, DUI, or reckless driving in the past 10 years
No more than 2 moving violations in the past 5 years
No DWI, DUI, or reckless driving in the past 5 years
No more than 2 moving violations in the past 3 years
No DWI, DUI, or reckless driving in the past 3 years
No more than 2 moving violations in the past 2 years
|Residence||Must be a permanent U.S. resident||Must be a permanent U.S. resident||Must be a permanent U.S. resident|
The following impairments are not eligible for WriteFit Underwriting consideration.
This list shows some of the more common impairments and is not a comprehensive list.
Please note this important difference between WriteFit and WriteFit Express:
- WriteFit Express: Clients with specified impairments will result in a decline1
- WriteFit: Clients with specified impairments will be sent through traditional underwriting
- Asthma that includes:
- A history of;
- Oral steroid use, or
- Required multiple medications
- Atrial fibrillation
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Blood clotting or bleeding disorders, including any ongoing treatment with blood thinners
- Any history within 10 years, except some Basal cell or squamous cell cancers
- Any metastatic history
- Cerebrovascular disease, including history of:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD/Emphysema)
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Congestive heart failure
- Crohn's Disease
- Depression - moderate to severe
- Down's syndrome
- Drug use
- Any use of illegal drugs
- Any abuse of prescription drugs
- Eating disorders
- Erythematosus (SLE)
- Gastric Bypass/Lap Band
- Heart disease, including history of:
- Heart attack or myocardial infarction
- Stent placement
- Hepatitis B or C
- Kidney failure or transplant history
- Lyme disease: current or within 6 months of recovery
- Mental disorders, including:
- Bipolar disorder
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Overweight or underweight - see build chart
- Parkinson's Disease
- Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Seizure disorders or history of same within 5 years
- Systemic Lupus
- Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
If declined, a 90-day waiting period will be enforced before any new application can be submitted.
- Declined or rated for life insurance within last 5 years
- Felony within last 5 years
- Multiple DUIs
- Rock climbing at Yosemite Decimal System ratings of 5 or greater
- Current probation or jail
- Scuba diving greater than 100 feet
- eValuate overview
- Underwriting evolution flyer
- Underwriting guidelines
- WriteFit stats flyer
- WriteFit Underwriting: Build chart
- WriteFit Underwriting: Consumer marketing toolkit
- WriteFit Underwriting: How to submit business
- WriteFit Underwriting: Impairments guide
- WriteFit Underwriting: Marketing flyer
Approved examiners for WriteFit Underwriting
Approved paramedical facilities have all the necessary forms and know the proper procedures for exams and various tests including, HOS, Blood Test, EKG and TST.
Each of the following facilities will forward exam results and lab reports to us.
Overall medical history will be considered in addition to the above criteria.
Non-Tobacco Plus not available on all products.
Please keep in mind that the primary reason to purchase a life insurance product is the death benefit.
Product features and availability may vary by state.
Life insurance products contain fees, such as mortality and expense charges (which may increase over time), and may contain restrictions, such as surrender periods.
These materials are for informational and educational purposes only and are not designed, or intended, to be applicable to any person's individual circumstances. It should not be considered investment advice, nor does it constitute a recommendation that anyone engage in (or refrain from) a particular course of action. Securian Financial Group, and its subsidiaries, have a financial interest in the sale of its products.
For financial professional use only. Not for use with the public. This material may not be reproduced in any form where it is accessible to the general public.
Insurance products issued by Minnesota Life Insurance Company / Securian Life Insurance Company