Curious, creative problem-solvers welcome
Securian’s dynamic information technology environment – repeatedly ranked by Computerworld magazine as one of the top 100 places to work – implements superior information systems by combining personal service with leading-edge technology.
Our investment in technology professionals, who bring their ingenuity, hard work, integrity and dedication to work, each and every day, is equally critical to our future success and yours.
As a member of our professional information technology staff, you will receive formalized technical training. You will partner with other areas of the company – including investments, sales and marketing, accounting, administration, claims, underwriting, and field support – to provide technology solutions that create a competitive advantage and solve business challenges.
Who we’re looking for
We hire candidates with varied backgrounds in management information services, computer science and math.
Academic accomplishments and analytical ability are important, as are demonstrated leadership ability, internship experience and other work-related experience. We place tremendous value on communication skills, and are particularly interested in candidates with well-rounded backgrounds.
What to expect
As an application developer, your responsibilities encompass a variety of tasks:
- Design and develop new applications/systems to support the business
- Implement and integrate software packages with other Securian systems
- Support, maintain and problem-solve production systems and applications
- Learn new tools and technologies
Our technology environment
Securian continually researches the latest technological advancements to ascertain their effectiveness in meeting our business needs.
Applications are often integrated with other technologies such as imaging, web reporting, electronic document distribution, and business process management tools.
We use IBM mainframe technologies and multiple network operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows® and Linux®.
Within application development, many opportunities exist in a wide range of technical and managerial directions.
Opportunities also exist in other areas of Securian’s information technology team:
- Network Services supports network services for voice and data, telecommunications, end-user office tools and the corporate help desk.
- Technical Services engineers, monitors and supports the mainframe, server and data environments, and executes production batch processes.
- Development Support provides technical and environment support for application development tools and technologies.