This site is for financial professionals. It is not intended for consumers or the general public.
Are you a financial professional?
Please note this content is not approved for use in NY. MyPath Edge is not available for sale in NY.
Income now for clients who are retirement ready
MyPath Edge is for clients who are retirement ready now - looking to need guaranteed income within the next year or two. With the choice of either a Level or Plus income option, in addition to Single or Joint Life, your clients can select the guaranteed income stream that matches their unique retirement destination.
Why choose MyPath Edge?
Guaranteed income with flexibility and control over how and when your clients take withdrawals.
Let your clients select the income option that fits
MyPath Edge includes two income choices, so your clients can decide which option works best for their unique retirement they envision. Both options are available on a Single or Joint life basis.
1. MyPath Edge - Level – Provides a level amount of guaranteed income for your clients’ lifetime. Even if their contract value reduces to zero, they continue to receive the same Guaranteed Annual Income (GAI).¹ Your clients can enjoy a consistent source of income for as long as they live.
2. MyPath Edge - Plus – Provides a higher initial guaranteed income during your clients’ early retirement years, but their Guaranteed Annual Income (GAI) reduces when the contract value reaches zero.¹ Clients can use the earlier extra income to enjoy what they love when they are younger and healthy.
GAI Comparison - Level versus Plus Income Options
1. If contract value is reduced to zero due to an excess withdrawal, guaranteed income is not protected and the benefit terminates.
Protect your client’s vision of retirement
By adding MyPath Edge to your clients MultiOption variable annuity, they will gain the security of knowing their retirement income is protected. Even in down markets, their GAI is protected – according to the income option that they select.
Your clients can enjoy sustainable income with flexibility
MyPath Edge offers income that will be with your clients for their entire life. It also provides flexibility and access to the income they need throughout their retirement journey – which could last 30 years or more.
Initially, for both the Level and Plus income options, GAI is equal to the Benefit Base multiplied by the Annual Income Percentage (set at time of first withdrawal).
Under the Level income option, once the contract value reaches zero (Automatic Payment Phase), the GAI will not change.
Under the Plus income option, once the contract value reaches zero (Automatic Payment Phase) GAI is equal to the Benefit Base multiplied by the Lifetime Income Percentage (set at time of first withdrawal).
The percentages vary for each MyPath benefit. The MyPath Edge percentages are shown on the benefit details tab.
Note, withdrawals in excess of the GAI or taken before the Benefit Date may have a negative impact on the benefit.
MyPath Edge is RMD friendly
With MyPath Edge, clients can receive the greater of their GAI or any required minimum distributions (RMDs) for the contract each year, guaranteed for life.
Guarantees lifetime income via withdrawals beginning at the Benefit Date
1.50% Single/Joint with Level and Plus income options (2.25% max)
- Available with MultiOption Extra, Guide B Series, and Advantage variable annuity contracts at issue (excluding Beneficial or Decedent IRA accounts).
- Single life – Not available on jointly owned contracts.
- Joint life – Available only to spouses, benefits based on age of youngest. Not available to non-natural owners.
- Not offered with other optional living or death benefits.
- May not be available in all states and availability is subject to change.
Asset allocation plan required
100% allocation to SFT Core Bond - Class 2
Later of contract anniversary following the 55th birthday or contract issue.
Used in determining the Guaranteed Annual Income (GAI). Begins equal to initial purchase payment. Increased by additional purchase payments until the later of 1st contract anniversary or 1st withdrawal. After 1st year, cumulative purchase payments in excess of $25,000 require prior consent. Decreased by excess withdrawals as defined later.
Benefit Base Reset
- Annual Reset (when contract value is higher than current Benefit Base).
- Benefit charge may increase at Reset. If clients decline cost increase, they will no longer be eligible for future Benefit Base increases.
Guaranteed Annual Income (GAI)
- Amount of income that can be withdrawn every contract year for life beginning on the Benefit Date.
- For both the Level and Plus income options, GAI is initially equal to the Benefit Base multiplied by the Annual Income Percentage (set at time of first withdrawal). Once the contract value reaches zero, the income received with the Level income option will not change. Under the Plus income option, once the contract value reaches zero, the GAI is equal to the Benefit Base multiplied by the Lifetime Income Percentage.
- GAI will increase upon Benefit Base increases (due to Reset, or eligible purchase payments, where applicable).
- GAI will only decrease due to an excess withdrawal as defined below, or, in the case of the Plus option, when contract value reaches zero (Automatic Payment Phase).
Income Percentage (%)2
- % set at time of first withdrawal.
|MyPath Edge - Level||MyPath Edge - Plus|
|Annual Income Percentage||Annual Income Percentage
(contract value > zero)
|Lifetime Income Percentage
(contract value = zero)
Impact of withdrawals
After the Benefit Date, withdrawals for the contract year less than or equal to the GAI or RMD do not reduce the GAI or Benefit Base.
Excess withdrawal amounts:
- Before the Benefit Date, any withdrawal reduces the Benefit Base proportionately based on ratio of total amount withdrawn to contract value. GAI is recalculated.
- After the Benefit Date, if total amount withdrawn in a contract year is in excess of GAI or RMD, then amount in excess will reduce Benefit Base proportionately based on ratio of excess portion to contract value. GAI is recalculated.
Automatic Payout Phase (APP)
Unless due to an excess withdrawal, begins when contract value reaches zero. Will then pay GAI until death (if Joint, the death of both Designated Lives). Under the Plus income option, the GAI will be recalculated using the Lifetime Income Percentage based on the age at first withdrawal. All other contract features, benefits and guarantees are terminated.
- MyPath optional benefits terminate upon death. A spouse beneficiary may assume the contract. Contract value is adjusted to the Guaranteed Minimum Death Benefit (GMDB) if greater.
- Upon first death (if single ownership contract, must be death of contract owner), contract value is adjusted to the GMDB value if greater. Spouse beneficiary, if also the Joint Designated Life, may continue the contract and optional benefits.
- If first death on a single ownership contract is a non-owner, contract and optional benefits continue as established. A new beneficiary may be named but will not be considered a new Joint Designated Life.
- Upon death of the remaining Designated Life, contract value is adjusted to the GMDB if greater. Optional benefits terminate.
- May not be cancelled.
- Change of ownership, death of a Designated Life (or remaining Designated Life if joint), surrender or full annuitization terminates the benefit.
- Any excess withdrawal resulting in contract value falling to zero is considered a contract surrender and benefit terminates.
2. All rates effective as of February 13, 2023 and subject to change at any time.
Customers should consider all of their assets, income and investments when considering an asset allocation model or strategy.
MyPath joint benefit options are not beneficial to the joint designated life unless he or she is recognized as a spouse under federal law. Clients should consult their tax advisor prior to purchasing a MyPath joint benefit if they have questions about their spouse’s status under federal law.
Get a custom illustration
Your annuity sales team can provide a custom illustration for your next case:
An annuity is intended to be a long-term, tax-deferred retirement vehicle. Earnings are taxable as ordinary income when distributed, and if withdrawn before age 59½, may be subject to a 10% federal tax penalty. If the annuity will fund an IRA or other tax qualified plan, the tax deferral feature offers no additional value. Qualified distributions from a Roth IRA are generally excluded from gross income, but taxes and penalties may apply to nonqualified distributions. Please consult a tax advisor for specific information. There are charges and expenses associated with annuities, such as surrender charges (deferred sales charges) for early withdrawals. Variable annuities have additional expenses such as mortality and expense risk, administrative charge, investment management fees and rider fees. Variable sub-accounts of annuities are subject to market fluctuation, investment risk and loss of principal.
MultiOption annuities and MyPath optional lifetime income benefits may not be approved in all states and product features may vary by state. We reserve the right to limit or discontinue acceptance of future purchase payments after the contract is issued. This may limit the ability to increase the contract value through additional purchase payments. If an optional benefit is elected in the contract, this may also limit the ability to increase the value used to calculate the optional benefit.
The MyPath suite of optional lifetime income benefits establish a Benefit Base for calculating guaranteed annual income. The Benefit Base provides no minimum contract value or investment return and is not available for withdrawal. Withdrawals exceeding allowed guidelines, or taken before the Benefit Date, may have a negative impact on the guarantees of these optional living benefits. All withdrawals reduce the Contract Value. These benefits cannot be cancelled and require use of an approved asset allocation strategy. The guarantees are subject to the financial strength and claims-paying ability of Minnesota Life. The guarantees have no bearing on performance of the variable investment options. These benefits are available on a single or joint life basis for an additional cost with a variable annuity and are based on state approval. Certain MyPath Benefits may be selected on a Plus or Joint 50 basis. These options may provide a greater initial stream of annual income with a reduction in annual income upon occurrence of certain specified events.
MyPath joint benefit options are not beneficial to the joint designated life unless he or she is recognized as a spouse under federal law. Consult with your tax advisor prior to purchasing a MyPath joint benefit if you have questions about your spouse’s status under federal law.
Some products and features may not be available in all states and features may vary by state. Not all products, features and optional benefits are available from all firms. Please consult with your firm before providing any products/services or materials listed here.
Variable annuities are sold by prospectus. Your clients should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses of a portfolio and the variable insurance product carefully before investing. The portfolio and variable insurance product prospectuses contain this and other information. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
The information presented above is solely intended for use by financial professionals. Such information is not intended for public consumption or dissemination.
A purpose of the method of marketing is solicitation of insurance and that contact will be made by an insurance agent or agency.
Policy form numbers: 11-70203, ICC11-70203, 12-70232, ICC12-70232, 17-70341, ICC17-70341, 20-70591, ICC20-70591, 20-70592, ICC20-70592, 20-70593, ICC20-70593, 20-70594, ICC20-70594
Securian Financial is the marketing name for Securian Financial Group, Inc., and its subsidiaries. Minnesota Life Insurance Company and Securian Life Insurance Company are subsidiaries of Securian Financial Group, Inc.