This week, the café at Securian Financial’s headquarters featured the Fallen Soldier Table, set for one.
The table honors those in our military who were killed in action, prisoners of war or are listed as missing in action. Each element of the table setting has a symbolic meaning.
- The table is set for one to symbolize the frailty of one isolated prisoner.
- The empty chair and table setting represent service members who were or are missing but with us in spirit.
- The white tablecloth represents the purity of our soldiers’ intentions to respond to their country’s call to arms.
- The single red rose signifies the blood many have sacrificed to ensure the freedom of our country, as well as the faith families and friends of our missing soldiers have while awaiting their return.
- The slice of lemon represents the bitter fate of the missing.
- The salt symbolizes the tears of our missing and their loved ones.
- The inverted glass represents that the missing cannot partake.
- The lit candle represents the light of hope to illuminate soldiers’ way home.
Securian Financial’s Service Member Resource Group hosted the table in honor of Memorial Day. The group is open to all of our employees, including veterans, current service members and military supporters. It exists to build fellowship, enhance veteran recruitment and increase retention within our military community.
“The Fallen Table is a meaningful way to help our employees remember the real significance of Memorial Day,” says Andrea Mack, a member of the group's leadership team and Securian Financial's Individual Life and Annuity Division. “It’s moving, and we’re thankful to be able to host it.”
This Memorial Day, please take time to remember those who died in military service to our country.