As the associates responsible for assessing the financial, business and monetary risks associated with insuring applicants, our underwriting team plays a critical role in the success of our insurance business.
As an associate underwriter, you’ll work alongside an experienced underwriter, learning how to interpret the latest research on health and lifestyle and apply the data to insurance risk assessment.
The position involves regular discussion and collaboration with employees and representatives throughout the country.
What to expect
Underwriters research emerging health and workplace matters. Solid negotiation, problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal skills are vital components of a successful underwriter. Our underwriting associates make significant decisions with far-reaching impact.
Underwriting job responsibilities can include:
- Evaluating and making decisions on risks and costs of providing insurance policies to applicants
- Working closely with senior underwriters and upper-level management to expand and refine knowledge of risk approvals
- Engaging directly with field and home office associates to secure confidence in Securian Financial’s team management approach to underwriting
- Assisting other underwriters in completing daily casework, special projects and other tasks that contribute to department goals and objectives while enhancing personal development
- Building relationships and continuing education through industry study program and in-house coursework
As an underwriting associate, you will complete Securian Financial’s comprehensive training program to learn about basic risk selection background.
You will have the opportunity to broaden your insurance background and enhance professional development through on-the-job training with experienced underwriters, interaction with our sales force, the advancement of presentation skills and exposure to industry knowledge.
You will be immersed in all aspects of the company’s operations – from sales to budgets to new product development – all of which contribute to an excellent career opportunity.