Actuaries are instrumental in the construction and pricing of the products sold by Securian Financial.
Working closely with professionals from sales and marketing, underwriting, investments and accounting, our actuaries – utilizing mathematical knowledge to define and analyze complex problems – develop financially sound insurance and retirement programs to satisfy our policyholders’ needs.
What to expect
Our six actuarial departments provide a wide range of products to satisfy the needs of clients in a variety of markets.
Actuarial job responsibilities vary by department and include the following:
- Developing and pricing products
- Conducting experience studies comparing Securian Financial’s mortality, morbidity, expense, and investment experience with industry statistics
- Communicating plan designs and financial results to our sales force and our policyholders
- Preparing financial reports and projections
- Contributing to corporate planning and providing tax-planning information
- Developing marketing agreements with institutional clients
- Preparing annual statements and assisting with long-term business planning
You’ll start your career by passing a series of rigorous actuarial exams to earn your Fellowship in Society of Actuaries – comparable to a doctorate in mathematics.
We supply the necessary study time, educational materials, facilities and tutorial classes so you can prepare for the exams that require five or more years of diligent study to complete.
Opportunities are also available if you are interested in positions that do not require completing exams. Actuarial assistants typically work on tasks similar in style to actuaries, yet with less direct accountability in product development and pricing.
Actuarial science career path
As you progress in your actuarial career at Securian Financial, you will move through the roles shown below.