Variable deferred annuities offer the ability to invest your contributions in variable investment options, which may make them a good fit if you’re looking for market participation.
How variable deferred annuities work
When you purchase a variable deferred annuity, you have a diverse array of investment options available, each with varying levels of market risk and investment objectives.
You can choose an investment profile that matches your investment style and risk tolerance. A financial advisor can help you determine which options are suited to help you meet your financial goals.
Once purchased, you can change your investment allocation within your annuity at any time without creating a taxable event.
Choose your income strategy
When you are ready to begin receiving income from your annuity, at retirement or age 59½, you can select from a range of options.
These options allow you to structure an income that’s guaranteed to last for your lifetime, for a set period of time, for joint lives, and/or to provide for beneficiaries.
Optional living and death benefits
Because the value of your variable annuity contract can fluctuate with the ups and downs of the markets, variable deferred annuities often offer optional benefits to provide additional flexibility and protection.
- Optional living benefits can help you protect, and in some cases even grow, your future guaranteed contract value or income – even in times of down markets
- Optional death benefits can help protect – and, in some cases, enhance – your contract’s death benefit payable to your beneficiaries
Optional benefits are available for an additional cost.
Benefits to you
- Opportunity for market exposure if you’re looking for potentially greater returns and can accept the accompanying risk
- An assortment of investment options to choose from with varying ranges of risk and return
- Tax deferral, which allows you to potentially grow assets faster
- Opportunity to select optional benefits to further help grow, protect and sustain your retirement assets or income
- If you choose to turn your annuity into a lifetime income stream, income options are available that are guaranteed for your lifetime, a period of time, and/or to provide for beneficiaries
- Guaranteed death benefit to protect beneficiaries
Important information about variable annuities and optional living benefits
An annuity is intended to be a long-term, tax-deferred retirement vehicle. Earnings are taxable as ordinary income when distributed, and if withdrawn before age 59½, may be subject to a 10% federal tax penalty. If the annuity will fund an IRA or other tax qualified plan, the tax deferral feature offers no additional value. Qualified distributions from a Roth IRA are generally excluded from gross income, but taxes and penalties may apply to non-qualified distributions. Please consult a tax advisor for specific information. There are charges and expenses associated with annuities, such as deferred sales charges for early withdrawals. Variable annuities have additional expenses such as mortality and expense risk, administrative charges, investment management fees and rider fees. Variable annuities are subject to market fluctuation, investment risk and loss of principal.
Optional living benefits are available for an additional cost and may not be elected in combination with certain other optional benefits. They contain age and asset allocation requirements, holding period requirements, withdrawal limitations and other restrictions. Depending on the performance of the underlying investment, clients may never need to rely on the guarantees provided by the applicable optional benefit. Guarantees are based on the financial strength and claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company. Guarantees have no bearing on the performance of the variable investment options. Not available in New York.
Product availability and features may vary by state.
You should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses of a portfolio and the variable insurance product carefully before investing. The portfolio and variable insurance product prospectuses contain this and other information. You may obtain a copy of the prospectus from your representative. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.