Joining your lives, financially
You’ve done it – you got married! And you’re learning quickly that “I do” applies to financial commitments, spending habits and yes, the dreaded debt. You may be happy with your current living situation – or you may aspire to something larger or more “adult like.”
Overall, you and your spouse have a lot of love – but may not have answers to some tough financial questions.
Do you have enough savings? Should you get life insurance now while you’re healthy – or wait until you have kids? Should you pay off debt or contribute more to your 401(k)?
A financial advisor can help you create a financial strategy that’ll point you in the right direction for long-term success.
Topics to discuss with your advisor
- Develop or evaluate a joint budget
- Set goals such as buying a house, having children, taking vacations or paying off debt
- Consider the value of a detailed financial plan
- Build long-term savings strategies
- Assess and increase your retirement savings
- Assess your life insurance needs
- Don’t forget about your benefits at work – life insurance and voluntary benefits can provide you with additional protection
- Reevaluate your contributions to your employer-sponsored retirement plans