Securian's Retirement GPS is a road map for retirement income planning
It’s National Retirement Planning Week and a good time to start whether you’re 25 or 55
ST. PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Americans are notoriously under-prepared for a financially secure retirement,1 but it’s never too late to develop a plan for building retirement income. National Retirement Planning week, April 7-11, is an opportunity to get started and Securian’s Retirement GPS retirement income planning site is a good place to begin.
“A little knowledge can go a long way in helping to improve financial security in retirement,” said Kerry Geurkink, manager, Individual Annuity Distribution, Securian Financial Group. Here are some examples:
- Develop a retirement income estimate by identifying every possible source including pensions, retirement savings and social security.
- A visit to www.ssa.gov shows there are many ways to maximize Social Security retirement benefits and boost monthly payments.
- Be realistic when estimating life expectancy. Most people underestimate it by an average of 10 years.2
- Prepare for inflation by diversifying investments, working past retirement age or purchasing retirement income products.
Retirement GPS – Keeping your dreams on course® is loaded with educational articles, videos, a planning guide, a workbook and a map for contacting a Securian advisor anywhere in the US.
“Creating a retirement income plan may seem daunting, but it’s doable,” said Geurkink. “A financial advisor can help keep the process on track.”
Securian is a member of the Insured Retirement Institute, a member of the National Retirement Planning Coalition which also provides useful information at its Retire On Your Terms website including checklists, fact sheets and calculators.
About Securian Financial Group
Since 1880, Securian Financial Group and its affiliates have provided financial security for individuals and businesses in the form of insurance, investments and retirement plans. Now one of the nation’s largest financial services providers, Securian is the holding company parent of a group of companies that offer a broad range of financial services.
1. National Risk Retirement Index, Center for Retirement Research, November 2012,
2. "Counting the Years: Seeing the Possibility of a Long Retirement,” Ernst and Young, 2008
DOFU 4-2014 A02033-0414