The Securian Financial Foundation’s contributions committee meets three times a year to review grant proposals. We will consider requests we receive based on how they align with our funding priorities.
Submitting an application
Please note: On June 1, 2019, we will begin accepting grant applications online through Cybergrants. Paper submissions will still be accepted during this grant review cycle, although Cybergrants will be our preferred application process. Grant applications must be received by June 15, 2019. After this review cycle, all applications will be accepted through Cybergrants only.
To submit a grant application using the existing process, follow these steps.
- Provide a cover letter that introduces and briefly describes your program; clearly state the grant amount requested and type of support (operating, capital, project); and identify the link between your proposal and the Securian Foundation's mission and priorities.
- Submit either the information requested by the Securian Foundation shown on this page, or complete the Minnesota Common Grant application, and include the attachments required by the Securian Foundation. Please limit your application narrative to no more than seven pages, excluding all the required attachments.
- Briefly describe your organization including primary purpose and history
- Describe the geographic area and population served
- Describe current programs, activities, service statistics, strengths and accomplishments
- Describe the organization's relationships with, and differences from, other agencies working to meet the same needs or providing similar services
Purpose of grant
- Describe the need, issue or opportunity your program is designed to address
- Briefly explain why your organization is uniquely suited to address the problem
- Describe specific activities for which you seek funding, who will carry out those activities and the timeframe for accomplishing them
- Describe how the proposed activities will benefit the community. Describe the long-term strategy for sustaining this effort
Evaluation and results
- Describe how you will measure the effectiveness of your organization's activities, the criteria for a successful program and the measurable results you expect to achieve by the end of the funding period
- Provide the actual results achieved in the past program year
- Financial statements from your most recently completed fiscal year
- Organization and/or project budget
- List corporate and foundation contributors and amounts for the previous year. For capital campaigns, list the names of corporations and foundations that you are soliciting for funding with dollar amounts indicating sources that are committed, pending or anticipated.
- Copy of your most recent IRS Form 990
- List of Board members and their affiliations
- Copy of your current IRS determination letter indicating 501(c)(3) tax exempt status and Employer Identification Number (EIN) if not listed on IRS determination letter.
Deadlines and notification
Grant proposals must be received by the deadlines shown here. You will be informed in writing on the status of your grant request as follows.